Sunday, March 25, 2007

I am in Yellowknife

Well, here I am. In Yellowknife NWT. It's beautiful and breathtaking. Lots of activities going on right now also.

I flew out last Friday the 16th to surprise my lonely hubby. What a whirlwind of events just to even get here. I purchased my plane ticket at 3:30 friday afternoon and had to be ready by 5 o'clock to catch my ride to winnipeg. My flight left 6:30 Saturday morning!!! Flew to Edmonton then on to Yellowknife via Canadian North airlines!! Elmer's cousins live in YK so I had one of the boys girlfriends pick me up at the airport. Elmer still had no clue. Hannah had told him when he phoned that I was gone to Winnipeg with a friend for the weekend. Which was not totally un-true.

So, I went to Tli Cho Landtran where Elmer is dispatched from and we asked if there was anyway of knowing where the guys were. If there were close or not etc... The office was all in on the surprise. Totally loving the fact that I was here to surprise him and was keeping the secret. They all wanted to see Elmer's reaction but if any of you know Elmer he does not show much emotion. He was extremely happy I was there but was not about to show everyone how happy he was. He held alot back until we were alone!!! LOL LOL

So, what have I been doing???? It is Caribou Festival right now in Yellowknife so I am taking in all of those activities, bought some presents for my girls and 1 major present for Elmer. He will get it soon. At the Caribou festival we watched the snowmobile races ( great action shots from that )and also the dog sledding races. The festival is all set up on the lake so you are totally walking all over the lake. I am sure glad it is FROZEN!!!!!!!!!! The snowmobile races were of all ages. All the way from the little beginners that were probably no older that 5 or 6 up to the semi pros and pros!! Man those guys can really get some air under them. Pictures will follow later.

Today we went and toured the Ice Castle. Built by a man at the beginning of winter to have it ready for the festival. They have different activities that take place in the castle during the evening when it is all lit up. It is beautiful!!!! The pictures we took are awesome but I will post them once I arrive home.

Elmer should be in tonight from another run on the winter roads. Not sure if that is his last run or if there is 1 more for him to do. It sure is a little weird to be driving on the ice but it is neat. I am not in a state of panic anymore when we are crossing the ice. Tonight we are supposed to be going out on a ice road where you can see directly through the ice down to the water below and all the cracks in the ice as well. Should be interesting. I am upset that Elmer can not participate in these activities with me but I have lots of pictures to share with him.

There is lots more to tell about restaurants we have gone to and stuff but maybe, just maybe I will get around to telling you more tomorrow.

See ya later!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well girl, sounds like you're having a blast. I can't wait to see the pics. Too bad hubby can't join you but at least he'll get to see pics of how you enjoyed yourself. Take care, hurry back.

Miss you

michelle said...

glad you are having fun!!! can't wait to see the pics!

Donna C said...

Hurry home girl ...we are missing you on LP ...and it is April already so get your butt home before the North decides to keep you there !